Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dollar Tree round-up

 Here are some random items I found today at the Dollar Tree to use in our classroom:


A bubble blower, large bottle of bubbles, and pool noodles (I cut them in half to make safe ball bats). This stuff will go on our playground.


A cookie sheet becomes a magnetic word wall just by adding a bright ribbon hanger. The little basket under it is to hold our magnetic ABC's and came in a set of 2, so I kept the other one to use at home. This can be hung on even a small wall to make an additional center. The basket can be hung beside or under it with an adhesive wall hook. Place laminated sight word flash cards on a metal ring to place in the basket so that kiddos can use their letters to make the words on the cards.


This cute safari hat would be great on the playground or in our dramatic play area. I think I'll pick up a couple more. 

The Dollar Tree is an excellent place to find cheap books. I got some of these for our science center and the others are for our book center. I prefer the hard back board books for our class of three year-olds as they hold up better to the daily wear and tear.

Not shown but also found today was a pack of ten mini food storage containers, about the size of  baby food jars. The plan is to poke holes in the top of each lid, then place cotton balls saturated with either soaping scents, perfume, or imitation food flavorings inside. Glue lids on (we're trying hot glue) to make Sensory Sniffers. When I get these made I'll post photos. One could recycle old spice containers, salt shakers, or even glitter tubes to make these. I just happened to be right in the aisle and grabbed these containers instead. I had glitter tubes but the lids would be a choking hazard for my class. For my Sensory sniffers I am using leftover soap-making scents from my crafting stash, with scents like Blackberry Jam and Butterfly Meadows. 

I would love to hear about your dollar store finds/ideas.

















0 comments:

Post a Comment